Are you looking for shoulder blade pain relief after suffering with stiffness and tension in your shoulders and neck?
Perhaps you notice this when you are reaching up when you are doing housework, throwing a ball for the dogs, and picking up the grandchildren?
In our clinics, we saw a dramatic rise in patients visiting us wanting shoulder blade pain relief after the various lockdowns caused by the pandemic.
With our lives returning back to normality, we are still seeing a lot of patients visiting us with shoulder and neck problems, and this blog article is packed with helpful tips and expert advice to give you fast shoulder blade pain relief and get a more active, pain-free life.
Shoulder Blade Pain
When we talk about shoulder blade pain, this typically appears as aches across the upper back; starting at the bottom of the rib cage up to the top of the shoulders, and sometimes into the neck and base of the skull.
If issues with your shoulder blades are severe, this often leads to pain in your neck can lead to frequent and severe headaches.
Some people might experience right shoulder blade pain, left shoulder blade pain, or it may affect both. If you notice only one side is painful, then this could indicate that you have some imbalances which is creating pressure and stress on just one side of your shoulder.
What Causes Pain Between Shoulder Blades
Jonny, one of our expert physio team, explains how working from home, long durations of driving and/or excessive sitting can lead to pain between your left, right or both shoulder blades.
The reason is that leaning over a desk, or driving for long periods of time mean that your upper body is hunched over, and often stuck in that position for hours at a time.
As a result, this puts pressure on the muscles which connect to the shoulder blade, and causes discomfort or pain in the shoulder joint when raising the arm above the head, or reaching behind.
Advice For Fast Shoulder Blade Pain Relief
For fast shoulder blade pain relief, you don’t have to resort to painkillers or simply put up with it.
There are several natural, yet powerful ways to ease pain such as:
- Using ice packs (or a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel) on the affected area for a period of 15 minutes at a time, before allowing the skin to return back to normal temperature before repeating.
- Using heat packs (or hot water bottle) on the affected area for a period of 15 minutes at a time, before allowing the skin to return back to normal temperature before repeating.
- Keeping active and avoid long periods of inactivity (which leads to muscles become tight, and joints becoming stiff)
- Relevant exercises to help mobilise the shoulder joint
Simple Exercise That Contribute Towards Shoulder Blade Pain Relief
For people who sit for long periods of time, either at a desk, or when driving, performing shoulder circles as demonstrated in the video above can be an effective way to avoid muscles associated with your shoulder blades becoming overworked, and discomfort setting in.
To perform shoulder circles:
- Raise the shoulders up
- Squeeze the shoulder blades back together in the centre of your upper back
- Hold for 5 seconds
- Slowly lower the shoulders
- Repeat for around 1 minute before resting
This exercise works the muscles between the rib cage and the spine which when strong allow proper movement of the shoulder and takes the pressure of the shoulder joint. By doing this it reduces the risk of nipping nerves which is a major cause of pain.
To avoid pain returning, try to minimise hunching over and bring your shoulders back, and down.
Natural Ways To Get Shoulder Blade Pain Relief
Due to the increasing long waiting lists on the NHS, more and more people are putting their faith in private physiotherapy to ease their muscle pain, and get back to doing the things that they love; whether that’s returning to the golf course, being able to get back to their favourite exercise classes, or simply being able to enjoy weekend activities with their family.
However, we know that there are still some people unsure whether private physiotherapy is going to be the right option for them, and confused as to how it even works.
To help people, potentially like you, who want to end their shoulder and neck pain so they can sleep better, feel happier and make the most of their free time with their loved ones…
We offer free taster consultations which give you the opportunity to find out more about how we can help you.
So if you are:
- Confused about how to end your shoulder blade pain (either both shoulder blades, or your left shoulder blade or right shoulder blade individually)
- Worried that it will never get better and you’ll always struggle to get a great night’s sleep
- Frustrated that your GP’s only advice was to rest and see what it’s like in six weeks
- Annoyed that you’ll need to rely on painkillers to supress regular headaches that wreck your weekend plans
Click the link below to arrange your free taster consultation with one of our friendly, and knowledgeable team who can remove all your confusion, anxiety and give you optimism that you can get better.
Other Free Resources
Our founder, leading UK physiotherapist, and multi-time No.1 bestselling author Paul Gough has written a FREE downloadable report for anyone who wants fast shoulder blade pain relief and wants to know…
“How To Ease Annoying, Daily, Irritating Neck and Shoulder Pain Naturally – Before It Gets Any Worse…”
Download Your Free Neck and Shoulder Pain Report Now
Or check out other fantastic blogs:
Read Our Blog – Is Sitting Really That Bad For You?
Want more videos on demand? Check out our YouTube channel (remember to hit subscribe so you don’t miss out on our new video!)
- 5 Steps To Relieve Arthritis Pain Before Winter Arrives - September 29, 2023
- How Do Orthotics Help You Stay Active? - June 19, 2023
- What Is Taping And How Can It Aid Recovery From Injury? - March 6, 2023